Education • 46 Records • Uploaded June 23, 2023
This source contains monthly reports from schools commissioned by the Freedmen's Bureau across the Delmarva Peninsula after the Civil War. The records are dated 1869-1870 and provide statistics and general remarks about the activities and curriculum of the schools as reported by school administrators; each report documents a specific school as well as its local sponsorship, student enrollment, and available courses. A significant portion of the schools were owned by local freed Blacks, or otherwise owned by Black churches, with a majority dually functioning as Sabbath or Industry schools.
In March of 1865 the War Department established the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, known as the Freedmen’s Bureau. While Freedmen Bureau's activity on the Delmarva Peninsula was primarily administered through the Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia office, the educational efforts were administered through the District of Columbia office.
The list below shows the data fields included in this source. If a field is marked as Indexed, it is searchable.